The Colorado Springs dentist industry is interesting. We are surrounded by nature and, as a community, we are extremely healthy! We want our bodies to look and feel good. Often, as a dentist, I greet patients who are worried about their smiles not looking healthy and they seek superficial (veneers, bridges or dentures) solutions. But if you’ve lost teeth completely, you need to look at a more holistic and healthier option: dental implants.
Why? Read on…
Facts About Dental Implants
- They replace every part of the tooth: Dental bridges and dentures can help restore your smile, but they only replace the visible parts of your tooth. With a dental implant, we can restore the missing root as well.
- The new tooth can help preserve your appearance: When you lose a tooth the loss of the root causes the body to stop supplying the jawbone with doses of calcium and phosphorus. Without these nutrients the jawbone tissue dissolves over time, leading to further tooth loss and an aged appearance. However, the implant provides a titanium root in the form of a surgically inserted post. Made from biocompatible metal, the post causes the body to resume the flow of nutrients and prevents the loss of jawbone density.
- Implants look natural: The crown that tops the new tooth is designed based on impressions of your smile. We also use ceramic in the fabrication, a material that mimics the appearance of natural tooth enamel.
- They are long lasting: On average, the new tooth may be expected to last as long as 25 years. In some cases, they have been known to last even longer.
- They can provide a fixed alternative to removable dentures: Instead of depending on removable dentures, multiple implant posts can be inserted into each arch. The prosthetic is then snapped onto the posts, securing a fixed denture that won’t slip when you eat or speak.
And there’s more good news about dental implants! According to WebMD there are many additional advantages to dental implants, including:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
Call HollowBrook Family Dentistry today to find out if dental implants are right for you!
About HollowBrook Family Dentistry:
HollowBrook Family Dentistry is a professional, friendly, full-service office that has been serving kids, adults, seniors and families in Colorado Springs for over fifteen years. The “Family” in our name is more than a word. It’s a core value for us. We want to be a part of your family and help you experience the best dental health for the rest of your life! Call us today at 719-633-0049. We’d love to hear from you.