Your Dental Health as you Age
The risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease, and a whole host of other dental issues increases as you age. Luckily, there are many things you can do to fight against this, starting with keeping all your six-month appointments with your dentist in Colorado Springs. The best dentist in the area will be the group of specialists at HollowBrook Dental, and these experts can help you maintain good oral health. That in turn, will have a positive impact on your overall state of well-being.
Dental problems associated with aging
The kinds of problems that can develop as you age are well-known, and they include all the following:
- enamel loss – as people age, the hard outer layer of the teeth can weaken and grow softer. The best way to combat this is to always use a soft-bristled toothbrush, and use gentle strokes when brushing.
- gum disease – this happens when mouth bacteria get out of control and begin to eat away at the gums and soft tissue in your mouth. The risk of gum disease can best be prevented by faithfully brushing twice daily, flossing regularly, and visiting your dentist at six-month intervals.
- risk of oral cancer – any signs indicating the development of oral cancer will be spotted by your dentist at an early stage, so it’s very important that you continue to keep all appointments.
- more cavities – while you may have avoided having numerous cavities when younger, it’s still possible for them to develop at a later age. This is frequently due to issues like prolonged dry mouth or receding gums.
- dry mouth – this often develops as a result of taking certain medications. When you have an inadequate supply of saliva, it can promote the growth of harmful bacteria, and this in turn, allows for the formation of more cavities.
- sweet tooth – many older people develop a sweet tooth in their later years, because it becomes more difficult to taste certain foods. This prompts them to choose more foods that are laden with excessive sugar, and that generally causes issues like more cavities.
How to avoid dental issues of aging
There’s really no mysterious cure for the dental issues that can develop as you age. The absolute best course of action is to maintain good oral hygiene throughout your lifetime. This means brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing after meals, and occasionally using a good mouthwash to kill off harmful bacteria in the mouth. Also of primary importance is seeing your HollowBrook dentist every six months, because any developing issues will be spotted at an early stage. That will allow your dentist to take corrective actions, and you can also do your part to help maintain excellent oral health.